Thrifted Quilt Top = Two New Handmade Garments

Beginning the year with a few from Grandma’s Rose Garden. Wrapping up the hexie quilt top that I had purchased for $3.99 with a collared jacket is my last large project I made from this. Fitting in a vest and a jacket, I’m left with a few little scraps to squeeze into a little something else. Given the warmth’s fit and wearability, these two have quickly become a go to for me.

Going into planning my cuts from the quilt top, I knew I wanted to use the most from this and not have any massive remnants. I laid out the for the jacket first, then saw where I could make room for the vest. With this in mind I knew I would be very limited to where exactly these motifs would lie in my pieces. Yet oddly the roses lined up pretty well between both the motif placement and color ways. The jacket also ended up with an almost ombre transition from blue at the shoulders down to white/pink towards the bottom. I will rightfully give credit to the seamstress that hand pieced these motifs together, my priority was making the most out of the quilt itself.

Both interiors were quilted with 100% cotton batting. On the vest I made first, I used a single layer batting but felt it wasn’t lofty enough. Yet suitable for it being a vest itself. As a mid layer type of garment. Though when it generally comes to quilting, I like a full lofty look. So I added another layer from the cotton batting for the jacket I already had and added more warmth that I think is needed more as a jacket as well. The jacket and vest are layers that I already quickly reach for when I’m cold and are extremely comfortable to wear.

Bindings for both were made by me as well. The vest was from a white cotton I had on hand. The jacket I wanted a slightly different look so I found this thrifted golden cotton sateen at 3.99$ for 3-4 yards. The cotton sateen ended up finishing so wonderfully. It didn’t add much extra bulk to the seams what so ever. Getting reacquainted with my Simplicity Bias Tape Maker Machine has really prompted this want to bind every seam. I also really enjoy that this is such a great way to use up prints that would not fit into apparel sewing. I find that many prints though translate really nicely into a binding. It is completely an unnecessary tool but saves time when you are already making your dang binding too. I’m not one to be all about having the best tools or all the tools. Though sometimes there are those few tools that make you forget how you were struggling to fiddle it together before.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.